UIFriend Version History
- Fixed Options sometimes crashes when switching to the Screen Saver or Desktop page.
- Please note: Starting with this version, Windows 98, Me and NT4 are no longer supported. If you are using one of these operating systems, please stay with UIFriend 2.2.2.
- Added Support for 64-bit Windows.
Please note that a new setup program is required when installing on 64-bit Windows. If you purchased UIFriend prior to 11/29/2009, please contact customer support for assistance.
- Fixed an issue that caused the program to report restoration of an icon layout on the very first start.
- "Enable Screen Saving" is no longer shown in the menu if screen saving is not configured.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the program to incorrectly detect a process integrity mismatch during autostart.
- A default icon layout is now saved if the program detects no saved layouts exist.
- The CTRL-ALT-L hotkey now defaults to "Switch User" on Windows 7 / Vista.
- Adjusted default filtering options of the display mode addition dialog to be more intuitive.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the results of display mode testing from saving if all available display modes were untested.
- Notification icons now display in the proper order on multiple monitor systems in Windows 7.
- Fixed a compatibility problem with display devices that contain a backslash in the name.
- Added an additional method of display device detection for compatibility with software that does not properly notify of addition, removal or change of monitors that are connected to the computer.
- Fixed a bug that caused the UIFriend tray icon(s) to unnecessarily be refreshed while the console is disconnected.
- Fixed a problem with the setup program that would not correctly apply the autostart preference to the current user in some situations.
- Made the setup program more user-friendly when performing an update by not requiring that UIFriend be closed before setup even begins.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
- Added enhanced support for saving and loading of icon layouts when the align-to-grid desktop setting is active.
- Added a fix to prevent the trial version from crashing on Windows Vista when DEP is enabled.
- Added support for the Windows Vista 'Standard VGA' video driver.
- When double-buffering the desktop, UIFriend no longer draws the desktop icons on Windows Vista if the "Show Desktop Icons" desktop setting is off.
- Fixed a problem that may cause an incorrect layout to be saved on Windows Vista when changing the display settings of a multiple monitor system.
- Fixed a problem that may result in incorrect detection of display devices on a multiple monitor system.
- Corrected a problem that might result in a monitor's PnP ID being incorrectly read from the EDID.
- Added a warning that is displayed when the user elects to turn on the Active Desktop.
- Added support for multiple monitor systems that report the monitors in a one to many manner.
- Updated the menu drawing code in the trial version to fix a problem with improper drawing on some systems.
- Fixed a problem that would occur if the user attempts to start a screen saver when the screen saver timeout is zero.
- Fixed an error in which the main program thread could permanently receive an elevated execution priority during fast user switching.
- Updated the way the Display Setting Management dialogs indicate that a display mode is no longer valid to be more user friendly.
- Updated the way new display devices are detected to be more reliable.
- Updated the way 'recent' display modes are recorded so that the proper display modes will have been recorded in the event the system crashes during operation.
- Fixed an issue with the wrong display mode being recorded as 'recent' on Windows Vista when going directly to the users screen.
- If the user requests to start the screen saver and screen saving is disabled, it will be enabled automatically and started.
- Fixed a problem that would prevent the desktop icon layout from being saved when shutting down a Windows 98/Me system.
- Fixed an issue that prevented proper recovery should uifriend.exe crash on a Windows 98/Me system.
- Added fixes to correct issues of an incorrect icon layout being restored on a Windows Vista multiple monitor machine when switching users.
- Fixed a problem with the way Display Setting Management/Startup operates that could occur on Windows Vista if the autostart programs are loaded while the 'Welcome' screen is still active.
- Updated the way icon text colors are assigned to be more consistent when the icon text shadow system option is active, but the system decides not to apply it.
- Updated the behavior of the 'Use drop shadows for icon text' and 'Enable the Active Desktop' items in the Options dialog to be more intuitive.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
- Resolved a cosmetic error that could occur when switching to the Desktop section of the UIFriend options.
- Please note: Starting with this version, Windows 95 is no longer supported. If you are using Windows 95, please stay with UIFriend 2.0.5.
- Added support for Windows Vista.
- For information about installing UIFriend on Windows Vista, please see this article.
- Increased the efficiency of desktop double buffering.
- Increased the speed of applying display setting management changes in response to a Fast User Switching logon.
- Created new program and UFL file association icons.
- Program files are now digitally signed.
- Introduced a more optimized screen saver detection procedure.
- Implemented a new autostart schema to better handle the possible preferences of many users sharing a single computer.
- UIFriend is now able to detect the start of the screen saver if the computer is in a locked state.
- UIFriend no longer has problems restoring a desktop icon layout after the user has selected one of the "Arrange Icons By..." desktop options.
- Updated the popup menu to return the focus to the previous window after it is done.
- Added a slight delay to the activation of screen saver muting to allow the 'computer is being locked' sound to play.
- Updated the display mode edit dialog to auto-size to the number of selected display modes.
- Updated the desktop icon layout export dialog to update the stats when the desktop size or icon count changes.
- Adjusted the way the options dialog detects when you have enabled screen saver password protection on Win9x without setting a password.
- Fixed some issues with the screen saver mute time range options dialog.
- Adjusted the options dialog controls to round up in the event that a numeric value does not match exactly.
- Adjusted the keyboard shortcut addition dialog to not include a default action making the addition process more intuitive.
- Resolved an issue with the Preview window in the Desktop Options sometimes disappearing.
- The auto-start entry that UIFriend creates in the registry is now enclosed in quotes.
- Fixed a memory leak that could occur during the detection of new display devices.
- Adjusted the way the UFL file association is registered to make it more intuitive
- Updated the uninstall procedure to more reliable remove the settings of users that aren't logged in.
- Revised how the display mode selection is created for new devices.
- Fixed an issue that could cause a custom text color from being unset.
- The Screen Savers Options dialog now displays a warning about power management conflicts when UIFriend is tasked to manage the monitor's power.
- A more detailed message is now displayed when a corrupt installation is detected.
- Increased the speed of saving display mode confirmations.
- Added a fix in the procedure that detects monitor aspect ratios.
- UIFriend will now refresh its tray icon(s) in the event the program is run again.
- Miscellaneous Fixes.
- Added caching to desktop double buffering to improve the drawing speed and smoothness of the desktop on Windows XP/2003 when the "use drop shadows for icon text" option is enabled.
- Added the ability to turn off double buffering of the Active Desktop if "make the desktop icon background transparent" is also turned off.
- Fixed an error with the display mode filter drop down boxes that would prevent them from being shown on Windows 95, 98, Me and 2000.
- Fixed some bugs that could lead to a handle leak in the explorer.exe process.
- Updated the startup code to initialize double buffering sooner so that there's less desktop flicker when the computer is starting up.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a problem when the Active Desktop was enabled on a system with data execution protection enabled.
- Fixed a potential race condition in the screen saver monitor that could occur if the screen saver was stopped and started quickly in succession.
- If the desktop crashes on a multiple monitor system, the program now ensures that the tray icons are added back in the proper order.
- Fixed a double buffer drawing issue that would occur when the user was in the process of moving or resizing the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue that would cause 16bpp wallpaper bitmaps on NT platforms to display incorrectly when the display's color depth is 8bpp.
- Fixed a bug in the display modes options that could allow the user to open a properties dialog for zero display modes.
- Updated the setup program to skip creating the UIFriend program group if it determines that it is performing an update and creating the program group is not necessary.
- Reduced the numbers of occurrences in which the setup program will require a reboot when performing an update.
- Fixed an error that caused a poor layout of controls in the DSM settings dialog for the logoff event.
- Added context help for the "Make this setting the default..." check box in the DSM settings dialog.
- More detailed instructions are now displayed when a version mismatch error occurs.
- Double buffering of the desktop added to reduce flicker and improve aesthetics.
- Display modes may be permanently confirmed by the user eliminating the need for the confirmation dialog normally displayed during the display mode change process.
- Desktop layouts may now be imported from and exported to files allowing
for easy transfer between user accounts/computers and for persistence of special
- Desktop icon positions may be restored by double-clicking on a UIFriend Desktop Layout file from within explorer.
- Display Settings Management features added to facilitate sharing of the computer by users that prefer different screen resolutions.
Users may specify preferred display settings to be activated (in addition to the option to return to the most recent settings) when logging on to start a session or via fast user switching to continue a session.
Administrators may select default display settings to be activated when a user logs off.
- Display Mode configuration dialogs now display the aspect ratio associated with each resolution.
- Added a dialog to warn when the screen saver password protection is enabled, but no password has been selected.
- Windows 2003 officially supported.
- Uninstall questionnaire added to the trial version.
- The default list of display modes created for newly detected devices is now composed of a more intelligently selected set of display modes.
- The screen saver mute feature now allows for times to be specified when the sound should be muted and when it should not.
- Volume fading when the sound is mute & unmute is now user configurable.
- An identify button has been added to select dialogs to allow the user to easily identify monitors.
- Tooltips are now displayed, on systems that support tooltips, to report the success of certain operations.
- Miscellaneous fixes.
- Corrected typographical errors in the trial version.